When the rose-colored glasses wear off on our New Year’s resolutions, it will be back to the daily grind. As time goes on, sometimes it’s easy to forget the awesomeness of life itself.
One of my resolutions for 2019 is to set (or reset) perspective every morning. Unlike many of the slow living tips on this site, this is something quick—like one minute quick*.
*To be honest, I read reeeeally slowly, so this will probably take me a couple minutes to read.
I’d like to invite you to join me in reading this short list of quotes every morning in 2019. Or, better yet, create an inspirational quotes list for yourself from the 300+ best life quotes I’ve curated over the last few years. You can skip straight to the perspective quotes here. This simple practice may have a profound impact on the quality of your day, everyday.
It’s up to you if you want to read these quotes first thing in the morning or last thing before going to bed each day. Personally, I’m going to start in the morning to see if it has an overall positive impact on my state of mind during the day.
11 Daily Life Quotes to Set Your Perspective Every Morning in 1 Minute
1. On Gratitude: “When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive; to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.” — Marcus Aurelius
2. On Serving: “What good shall I do today?” — Ben Franklin
3. On Time: “How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives.” — Annie Dillard
4. On Essentialism: “Most of what we say and do is not essential. If you can eliminate it, you’ll have more time, and more tranquility. Ask yourself at every moment, ‘Is this necessary?’” — Marcus Aurelius
5. On Consistency: “We become what we want to be by consistently being what we want to become each day.” — Richard Scott
6. On Choices: “The choices you make today determine your autobiography tomorrow.” ― James Altucher
7. On Practice: “Just as you can’t run a marathon without training, you can’t transform the mind, body, and soul without daily practice.” — Nate Klemp
8. On Routine: “In order to seek one’s own direction, one must simplify the mechanics of ordinary, everyday life.” — Plato
9. On Simplicity: “…One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity…It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum.” ― Bruce Lee
10. On Busyness: “I frequently worry that being productive is the surest way to lull ourselves into a trance of passivity and busyness the greatest distraction from living, as we coast through our lives day after day, showing up for our obligations but being absent from our selves, mistaking the doing for the being.” — Maria Popova
11. On Presence: “Once you have reached a certain level of consciousness, (and if you are reading this, you almost certainly have), you are able to decide what kind of a relationship you want to have with the present moment…One decision changes your entire reality.” — Eckhart Tolle
Bonus Daily Life Quotes to Set Your Perspective (if you have an extra minute):
“We must learn to reawaken and keep ourselves awake, not by mechanical aids, but by an infinite expectation of the dawn, which does not forsake us even in our soundest sleep. I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by a conscious endeavour. It is something to be able to paint a particular picture, or to carve a statue, and so to make a few objects beautiful, but it is far more glorious to carve and paint the very atmosphere and medium through which we look, which morally we can do. To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts.” ― Henry David Thoreau
“Putting things off is the biggest waste of life: it snatches away each day as it comes, and denies us the present by promising the future. The greatest obstacle to living is expectancy, which hangs upon tomorrow and loses today. You are arranging what lies in Fortune’s control, and abandoning what lies in yours. What are you looking at? To what goal are you straining? The whole future lies in uncertainty: live immediately.” — Seneca
“What the world doesn’t tell you – because it doesn’t know – is that you cannot become successful. You can only be successful. Don’t let a mad world tell you that success is anything other than a successful present moment. And what is that? There is a sense of quality in what you do, even the most simple action. Quality implies care and attention, which comes with awareness. Quality requires your Presence.” — Eckhart Tolle