Sloww hit 500 posts! This is a “short” summary of posts 401-500 on my journey.
I’ve been creating 100-post recaps since the beginning. They’ve become one of the most useful ways I reflect on my ongoing evolution. Browsing the topics below gives you a sense of where I’ve been—and where I may be headed.
The posts 1-100 summary focused on:
- Busyness, Slow Living, Decluttering, Minimalism, & Simple Living
- Life Purpose
- Perspective & Future
The posts 101-200 summary focused on:
- Sloww’s Evolution, New Newsletter, & New Premium Membership
- Slow Living, Simple Living, Voluntary Simplicity, & Minimalism
- Life Purpose, Self-Actualization, & Transcendence
- The Art of Living & Spiritual Growth
- Society, Work, & Money
The posts 201-300 summary focused on:
- Sloww’s Evolution, New eBooks, & Newsletter Issues
- Life Purpose, My Purpose, & Monetizing Purpose
- Better Thinking & Human Development
- The Art of Living & Spiritual Growth
- Health, Society, Culture, & History
The posts 301-400 summary focused on:
- Sloww’s Evolution & Newsletter Issues
- Life Optimization (Habits, Time, Money, Lifestyle Design, Reading & Note-Taking)
- Mental Mastery (Brain, Synthesis, Mental Models, Cognitive Biases, & More)
- The Art of Living (Human Development, Society/Culture, Spiritual Growth, Meaning of Life)
Posts 401-500 focus on the following topics: Click a link here to jump to a section below
- Sloww’s Evolution, New Product/Project, & Newsletter Issues
- Sloww Stage Support (Transformative, Interdisciplinary, & Lifelong Learning)
- Sloww Stage 1 (Solopreneurship & Nervous System)
- Sloww Stage 2 (Lottery of Birth & Branding Yourself)
- Sloww Stage 3 (Less Bias, Better Thinking, & Human Development)
- Sloww Stage 4 (Self, Enlightenment, & Free Will)
A “Short” Summary of Everything I Learned from Sloww’s Posts 401-500
Sloww’s Evolution, New Product/Project, & Newsletter Issues
- In the prior 100 posts, I mentioned that I started to gain more clarity around how Sloww has evolved and emerged since my existential crisis in late 2015 (now 7+ years ago at the time of this writing). In the most recent 100 posts, I revisited these posts and updated them:
New Product & Project:
Sloww Sunday Newsletter:
- If you’re a 🔒Premium member, you have access to the full newsletter archive of all issues along with this summary of newsletters 51-100. Here are the issues that were released in the last 100 posts (click a random one as a “choose your own adventure,” and I guarantee you’ll learn something new): 097, 098, 099, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134.
- I’ll be updating this post soon to reflect 500 posts: 10 Most Life-Changing Ideas I’ve Discovered after 400+ Posts
Sloww Stage Support
These posts support all subsequent stages below.
Learning how to Learn:
- I read “Introduction to Interdisciplinary Studies” which was a revelation in terms of how my mind seems to work. Reading a second book on interdisciplinary research now.
- I read “The 7 Transdisciplinary Cognitive Skills for Creative Education”, and guess what one of the ultimate meta-skills is? Synthesis.
- I’m now reading textbooks for fun and went deep into transformative learning by reading: “Learning in Adulthood”, “Understanding and Promoting Transformative Learning”, and “Transformative Dimensions of Adult Learning”. I synthesized all 3 books into this 🔒Transformative Learning Synthesis.
Related books I didn’t think were great:
Sloww Stage 1
- I took Jonny Miller’s course 🔒Nervous System Mastery.
Sloww Stage 2
Lottery of Birth:
- This is some of the most important stuff on the site: “Creating Freedom” by Raoul Martinez, 🔒lottery of birth synthesis, 🔒dissecting my own lottery ticket, and 🔒is this the strangest thing in life?
- I took Jack Butcher’s courses about 🔒Visualize Value.
Sloww Stage 3
Brain, Mind, Consciousness:
- I enjoyed Annaka Harris’ book “Conscious”.
- Highlights on cognitive biases and mental models.
- Enjoyed Charlie Munger’s “Poor Charlie’s Almanack” including top quotes and guiding principles.
- I thoroughly enjoyed “The Inner Game of Tennis” and published a 🔒Premium Summary.
- Also enjoyed “The Skeptics’ Guide to the Universe” and published a 🔒Premium Summary.
- Great classic on strategic thinking: “The Art of War” by Sun Tzu and modern book on new stories: “The Grand Redesign”.
- I read “Metathinking” but didn’t think it was that great. It essentially builds on theories from Ken Wilber.
- One of the most fundamental and important things to understand about psychological development theories is the difference between horizontal & vertical development.
- Considered 🔒how many perspectives we can take and compared 🔒how my personal development journey maps to Ego Development Theory.
- Read another Ken Wilber book “A Brief History of Everything” which included 20 tenets of Integral Theory.
- I read Tim Urban’s book “What’s Our Problem?” but wasn’t a fan because I thought it focused on superficial symptoms instead of getting into root causes (aka the human mind and our relationship with our minds).
Sloww Stage 4
Where Science meets Spirituality:
- Loved David Bohm’s seminar/book “Thought as a System” and this short excerpt: is matter to space what thought is to consciousness?
- One of the greatest parables ever: the farmer who lost his horse.
- I took Michael Ashcroft’s course about 🔒Alexander Technique.
- I went deep down the rabbit hole of “The Headless Way” after reading Douglas Harding’s “On Having No Head”.
- Also loved Ramana Maharshi’s “Be As You Are” and 🔒how to practice self-enquiry.
- This short story from Sam Harris really got me thinking: a search party for the self.
- Life makes a lot more sense after learning about the 🔒subject-object relationship and doing a 🔒mini-synthesis on enlightenment.
- Last but not least, I went deeeeep into free will: 🔒Sam Harris and his book “Free Will”, Robert Sapolsky and the homunculus fallacy, compiled 25 ways to melt away the feeling of free will and 50+ free will questions, and ultimately had a 🔒holy shit moment about what it’s like living 🔒with the lottery of birth and lack of free will.
If you made it this far, thank you! Want me to explore more in a certain area or topic? Please let me know in the comments.
Here’s to the next 100 posts!
You May Also Enjoy: